Wednesday, September 12, 2012

十年....

10 years ago today, I landed in Heathrow airport, with one 30kg suitcase and two dictionary in my pockets (to reduce the weight of my luggage!). I can still remember the first time seeing people adding milk into their tea, even sugar! I can remeber vividly the long queue I had to go through for the extra check for international students. I can remember the white horse on green pasture when taxi driving on motorway. I can remember the moment I saw the red buildings on campus when we got off A3, I fell in love with Guildford and this country.

In the past 10 years, I accummulated more and more 'stuff'. My belongings expanded from the single luggage to a wardrobe, to a room, to a car, even to a flat! I am soooooo thankful for everything that came to me in this country. I accummulated so much memories. I have visited most of the places where I read about in my childhood, places I dreamed of visiting. When I was 10, I wrote on my history textbook (in Chinese of course)---I want to visit British Museum one day! Words can not express sense of my excitement/fulfillment when I stepped into British Museum the first time! I still feel that whenever I visit that Museum.

Besides material stuff, travelling experience and memories, I met soooooo many wonderful wonderful people. My classmates in Surrey, my ever so supportive tutor (who gave me reference 7 years after I left uni.), every landlords, colleagues in the hospital & CRC, friends in Guildford and beyond. My life is completed by everyone's input in my life. I know I tend to be close with different people but it must be God He gave me friendship as a special gift. I would never exchange it with anything else.

The past 10 years gave me many lessons too. I am unfortunately/fortunately molded into someone I didn't prepare to be. I remember in September 2003, I went on a trip to Scotland with friends. One asked me 'what's your ultimate goal?' I said 'to be a housewife!' :-) Many years later, I still think of it when I walked on the street in South Kensington after my job interview! God had different plans.... and it is actually not bad at all!!

Mother Teresa said 'Life is a dream, fulfill it'. I strongly feel this is so true. I had so many dreams and it is a wonderful feeling to see them fulfilled at different stage of life. Writing them down is like keeping a suvenir to remind myself to be thankful for what I have now. 'Remember, you only had 1 suitcase and many dreams 10 years ago.'

Yes, I am very very thankful!

No comments: