Saturday, March 02, 2013

Tango lesson 1

Having had tango lessons for a month, I think I can write some reports here.

Pre-school days:

Selina has been a tango dancer for years and I heard a lot about it. I was not so sure if it's a good thing to  learn because she got emotionally attached to it for a long time. I once tried to persuade her not to 'tango' so much. I said, 'In tango, man is the frame and woman is the content of the picture. The man is setting up the frame to show off what he's got in his embrace... Of course, you feel you're at your best and you have the attention of the whole world, but it is not sustainable. In real life, it's about bread and butter, a man can not show off his lady like tango dancing. '

Selina was very kind, and she didn't object my theory.

I received my lecture when I myself went to watch tango dance one night. Someone asked me to dance, so I immediately said I can not. By wearing flat shoes and sitting on the audience seats, I thought that was obvious enough.

This man (in his 70's) sat beside me and started chatting. He asked me what I thought about tango, and I told him my frame and picture theory. He opened his eyes wide and said, this is the first time he heard this. He then told me, tango is about Connection. Two people with good connection can dance well. The man is the leader and the woman just follow. (It's just like a relationship.) This is the part he enjoys. His wife passed away 9 years ago. He started tango dance 6 days a week, because he can only find the human connection here.

I felt sorry for him. Relationship is such a wonderful thing but when it's gone or broken, it really hurts. c'est la vie...

He said I would be good for tango dancing because I am open. Am I?

We didn't know each other's name until the end. I told him that I will give it a try and maybe I will see him on the dance floor one day... Who knows....

No comments: